another question on alignment

To: triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: another question on alignment
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:55:17 -0400
A little clarification, if you please.  Toe-in specs are given as a
simple number, such as .2 in or something.  I've always thought that
it referred to the difference in distance between the wheels as
measured at the front and back of the rims.  Someone here said it was
at the tires.  Of course, that doesn't say whether it's the sidewalls
or the tread or what.  The point is, if you measure it at different
places you'll get different numbers.  Also if you use different size
wheels or tires.  Granted the differences aren't great, but when
you're trying to be precise it matters.  So what is it really???

Of course, a Spitfire never wears out its tires no matter how badly
it is aligned.  On the long-rear-axle cars (the later 1500's at
least) the alignment works out such that sighting down the front
tires should line up with the rear tires, more or less.  In any case,
I've always done alignment by driving - if it's squirrely in a
straight line, it has too much toe-in; if it's sluggish to change
directions, it's gone toe-out.

Your mileage may vary...

But what is it really?
--