Adding OD to non-OD tr6

To: Graham McMicken <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>
Subject: Adding OD to non-OD tr6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:03:20 -0400
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Graham McMicken
>Hey all,

Im curious as to what I need to do, to add OD to my 1975 TR6.
Do I only need to replace the mainshaft, and add switches?
or is there moreto this then what meets the eye?

also, I would need a J-type right?
<

The A type will fit just fine, you just need to retain the mount adapter
bracket that is currently on your non-overdrive transmission.  If you go
with the J-type you can discard this part.

Yes, replacing the main shaft and adding the switches (or switch if you
just want OD in 3rd and 4th), but that is understating the amount of work.
In order to replace the mainshaft you will need to disassemble the
transmission.   About the only parts that can remain are the lay gears and
at that point you may as well pull them and replace the bearings.  I advise
that you plan on a transmission rebuild - replacing all the normal stuff
like bearings and synchros - while you are at it.  Don't let shipwright's
desease creep up on you, embrace it head on!

Cheers

Dave (BTDT) Massey
71 TR6 (w/OD)