Suburu Legacy Assulted by a Parked Wedge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Suburu Legacy Assulted by a Parked Wedge
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:06:55 EDT
Read this if any of you think your Wedge
(or Triumph of most any persuasion) is too
precious or pretty to regularly drive. These cars
were made to drive on a daily basis, and I have
yet to see one that deserves to be a garage
queen.

Read On....

I was out early this evening with my youngest
on a few errands and an all important trip in 85 degree F. weather to the
Rainy City
Video rental store for her.

I parked the 8 parallel to the sidewalk
in front of the video place. We were
inside pursuing possible evening fare
when I noticed a group gathered around
our car and a late model Suburu Wagon.
The Suburu was a 4WD, four door model
with two, young red-haired boys in the back
seats and the contents of 7 or 8 bags of
groceries scattered about the rear cargo
area

The women had tried to park in the limited
space available in front of the 8 and clipped
the left side wheel arch and the left portion
of the Federally Mandated 5 mph bumper.

I came out of the store expecting a difficult
encounter and decided to go on the offensive
by telling all in earshot that she had "...just
hit a very Rare car that was very, very Expensive."
Rare? Well, yes. Expensive? Well, no but
she and the rest of the bystanders obviously
didn't know this.

"Are your boys okay?", I asked. "Mom, can we
go now. I'm hungry," they replied. "It was my
fault. I'm sorry. Your car is so nice," she said.
"Yes, it was," I responded.

We traded personal info and she said she
would have her insurance agent contact me on
Monday.

I asked to look at her car, and I was somewhat
shocked by the amount of damage. The right
side B post on the Suburu was dented inward
and the rear passenger door was severely dented.
It was not determined if the door would open and
close properly. I didn't think it would.

The left double-lipped wheel arch on the 8 had
it's paint scrapped and there appears to be
some modes denting. The side of the Federally
Mandated 5 mph bumper took most of the impact.
The rubber on the bumper was abraded.

The Wedge doesn't seem to have suffered heavily
from the impact, and I must say just one thing
about these truly wonderful cars......

I just love Federally Mandated 5 mph black, rubber
covered, English Steel bumpers on Wedges. They
completely and utterly KICK ASS!

Even that disgusting, designed by an ugly baboon on really
bad drugs front sidelight survived the impact!  God in Heaven!!
Miracles DO happen!

Best Regards,

Kirk Yonker
81 TR8 fi dhc
Seattle

PS Just in case you want to know, I rented "Le Mans",
        starring Steve McQueen. K.Y.