Valve Lash

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve Lash
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:58:51 -0600
Okay, a number of people have told all of you to adjust the valves while
the engine is hot. No skin off my nose. My posts have been solely
directed toward any of you who aren't sure, and are afraid of ruining
valve trains. I've privately tried to explain my position to a number of
the people who have advocated hot lash adjustment (even though none of
those people have provided the hot lash specifications for any Triumph
engine, and some of those people have told me, in polite or less than
polite terms, that I'm full of shit).

Set `em cold, set `em hot, doesn't matter to me. It's your engine, not
mine. But, I set all of mine to factory specs (or the aftermarket cam
manufacturer's specs), and my engines live for years. The specs for
valve lash in the Triumph manuals are for cold settings. You guys do
what you want. It's your engine. I've just been trying to keep those of
you unfamiliar with engines out of trouble.

There are plenty of junkyard mechanics and untrained amateur engineers
out there. You're perfectly entitled to listen to them. It's your money
and your time and your car. Valves are about $6-7 each, and a typical
shop, these days, will charge you about $6-700 labor for a head removal
and a valve job on a simple four-cylinder. Cam and follower replacement
is extra.

Cheers, all.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....