Re: generator check before installation http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.

To: joemato@attglobal.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: generator check before installation http://netwinsite.com/top_mail.htm
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:32:13 -0500
>Has anyone heard of a coil winding check you can do on a generator while
>it is on a bench, to see if it's worth installing? Joe Mato TR-3A 75219

I remember such a test in the manual for my Spridget.  I was left stranded in
the rain by a dead battery.  Nursed the sucker home after charging it with the
Suburban.

I found the info in the (Bentley reprint?) of the shop manual.  Took a generator
off a spare engine and did the test, the old one tested bad, the spare one
tested
good.  I had no more charging problems until I sold the car.

Yes, there is a specific off-car test for Lucas generators.  No, I don't
remember
how to perform it.

Why not take the generator to the nearest decent car-parts joint and let them
put it on their generator tester?

Phil Ethier