Re: [triumph_herald] Herald Progress (longish)

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Herald Progress (longish)
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:07:13 -0400
Well, I didn't get my ride yet... Perhaps tomorrow or Tuesday...

I tried starting her for the first time tonight. Spins over real well, but no
start. Good Spark, Good air, leaves only fuel. Found the pressure was too high.
So, I have to change the fuel pump gasket, as discussed at length sometime
back.

My gearbox cover is now in place, but I am decidedly annoyed with the
fiberglass replacement. Apart from the issue of trimming to fit, I find it is
about 3/4" too wide at the base to be able to put the holes in properly. I
would recommend to anyone about to utilize one of these, to go ahead and forget
the original mounting holes, fit the cover, and then secure it down with drill
tip sheet metal bolts, using the original clips on them for appearance sake.
Otherwise, the vocabulary gets exercise.

The floor coverings are entirely in place now, so she is looking very complete.
Save for the rear seat and door panels, the interior is done. I still have to
assemble the window mechanisms, etc, and I can put the door panels in. And I
have to finish installing the hood, and I can reinstall the rear seat area.
Only other thing of major import are the lower sill panels,- I have to paint
them, and throw them in place. They've not been high on the priority list yet.

The TR3 Horns look great,  but sound a little indifferent. I think I may need
to adjust them.

Back to the engine. When I crank her over, she builds good oil pressure
quickly, and the light goes out. Unfortunately, I have a slight seepage at
either the front plate, or front of the oil pan. I noticed this before, but
hoped it was a gasket self-sealing issue. Apparently not, so now I will attempt
cleaning, and pressurized application of silicone to the offending area.

Still gotta paint the rear license light base. Just haven't got to it yet!
Might paint the spare one satin black, and throw it on for the moment, till I
get around to doing the good one.

Anybody have any good ideas about how to get the headlight surrounds on well?
They always seem somewhat poorly secured to me.

I have to get to bed... Hope you're all enjoying the play by play!

Scott
64 Herald Convertible, almost on the road(THIS WEEK!!!)

  For those following the saga of my little Herald restoration...