RE: Laylock OD Unit

To: "boggiano" <boggiano@charter.net>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Laylock OD Unit
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:55:17 -0400
>===== Original Message From "boggiano" <boggiano@charter.net> =====
>I came across a Laylock OD unit SN 28/1474/029380 but am
>confused at to what vehicle this may operate on. The units
>that are specked out for the tr4 start with a different
>serial code

Hi Tom,

Phil and I just got back from the TRF Summer party.  Great time but hot as
hell.

When looking for an OD unit...  you must consider that the Laylock de
Normanville company made about 4 different types and they were used on dozens
of British and Europeon cars such as Volvo. This numbers probably mean that it
was on something other than a TR. The 28 means that output shaft is run at
1.28% greater speed in overdrive mode.  The A-Type OD units used in TR2-6 were
22 types or 1.22% overdrive.  This unit could come from an Austin Healey or
Jaguar.

The other thing keep in mind is that you will need an OD mainshaft and OD
adapter plate to match the TR gearbox to have a complete solution ready for
install or rebuild.  The best solution is a TR all synchro gearbox with the OD
attached.  They were asking $2000 for one... both just rebuilt... at the TRF
party.  Un rebuilt would bring $900-1100 tyically.

One source of info is John Esposito of Quantum Mechanics in Monroe, CT at(203)
459-96120).  He also has all the parts that might be missing... it's only a
simple matter of money.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site