TR2/3 Engine - Step forward - leap backwards

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2/3 Engine - Step forward - leap backwards
From: RobBlubaugh@netscape.net (Robert Blubaugh)
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 18:06:45 -0400
Hi Listers!

Grrr!  Stuck engine is now rebuilt (again) but last night I really messit up.
I could not get it to run this time.  Sputters, backfires but will not run.  It
is assembled correctly.  Marks on timing geard are correct.  The slot for the
drive dog on the dizzy drive gear was pointing to the first push rod tube
(measured 53 degrees with my protractor).  The rotor appears to point to #1 on
the dizzy cap when #1 is TDC but the induction timing light flashes irregularly
on cranking the engine and the timing marks I painted on the pulley are not in
the same place when the strobe does flash.  What's up with this thing??

My Bentley manual describes a procedure for checking/setting the end float /
interferrence for the dizzy drive shaft and gear.  Maybe that was it?  I had
not checked this and I did not use any spacer washers that I saw were available
in the Moss & Vicki Brit. catalogs.

I read the instructions from my Bentley book and I found a 1/2" washer of about
.065" thickness, so I installed it and sure enough there was a gap under the
dizzy adaptor as the book said there would be.  I made gasket packing as per
instructions and I thought I had solved a problem --  BUT I CREATED A MUCH
BIGGER ONE!!

The engine still did not start.  On disassembly the rotor was not at all in the
correct position.  Worse still......  the dizzy adaptor gear is broken and the
drive gear on a brand new camshaft is trashed!

I have about had it!  Stay tuned.  There may be a decent old TR2 with lots and
lots of new and expensive parts available very cheap!

Rob Blubaugh
Rensselaer, IN