RE:Stuck Odometer

To: <corey.sherman@rcn.com>
Subject: RE:Stuck Odometer
From: "larry stein" <larry@ehc.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:15:12 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
happened to me recently.  there is a great speedo repair document under
the vtr web site i believe you can find it.  what the author, who is
also on this list i believe explains is that there is this little lever
that pushes a gear that drives the odometer.  i took it all apart and
drove it with my battery operated screwdriver.  pretty interesting to
watch.  anyway, this lever has a pivot kind of thing.  the lever is made
of plastic and the hole in the lever gets rounded / worn.  if you watch
it, the lever lifts off the gear to go back and get the next tooth on
the gear.  because it is worn, it lifts too high and when it goes to
push the gear it is above the gear and does not come down to touch the
gear/engage and move it.  i've tried pushing it back in place, that
lasted a day.  then i tried super gluing a small piece of toothpic on
top of the lever to keep it from going to high.  that lasted a day also.
i can't think where you could get that little plastic piece.  at this
point i think i will take it out and take it to a machine shop and see
if they can cut/drill me a new piece.  let me know if you come up with
something better.
larry lstein6@earthlink.net
p.s. using my battery operated drill in reverse ran the speedo at 20mph
!