Ignition problem on TR4A

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition problem on TR4A
From: Dave Rupert <Dave_Rupert@codl.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:57:33 -0400
Hello,

Thanks to all who responded to my fuel pump gasket problem.  Now on to the
next issue...

I just reassembled my ignition system, but I can't sent the static timing.
The reason is that my test light never goes off, no matter if the points are
opened or closed.  I have a Mallory dual point distributor with an Allison
40K coil, along with an in-line resistor of 1.6 ohms.   Point gap on both
sets of points set to 0.022 inch.  When I disconnect the coil, an ohmmeter
connected between the primary input to the distributor and ground shows that
the points resistance is going from about 3 to 6 ohms to infinite as I
rotate the distributor.  I am therefore assuming that the points are working
properly.  A resistance check on the coil shows about 0.3 ohms through the
primary and about 8.5k through the secondary.  I think that is a little low
for the secondary, but it doesn't seem like it would be out of whack.   When
I hook everything up and rotate the distributor so that the points close, a
faint whisp of smoke comes from the resistor, due to some oil I spilled on
it. However, I don't think this is abnormal either for a steady-on
condition.

Has anybody seen this problem before?  What am I missing?  My only guess is
that the resistance across the points is still high enough when closed that
current is still flowing through the test light.  I'm hoping for some
confirmation before I just start replacing parts willy-nilly.  Please
respond directly as I'm in lurk mode.

Thanks,

David Rupert
1957 TR3
1967 TR4A
1980 TR7

PS:  If I can get past this, the car will run for the first time since '74.
Wish me luck!