RE:TR6 Clutch

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'g.mcmicken@shaw.ca'" <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>
Subject: RE:TR6 Clutch
From: "Judd, Robert" <robert.judd@roke.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:13:40 +0100
Graham,

This sounds to me like the dreaded clutch problem where the tapered
bolt securing the clutch fork to the cross shaft has snapped. Normally
the pressure exerted by the fingers on the clutch release plate would
force the arm back to its original position but if the fork is loose
on the shaft this will not happen.I think the fact that the arm moves
but does not disengage the clutch confirms this diagnosis.If this is
the case, the clutch has to be removed for repair.Its not a
particularly difficult operation.The worst bit I found was having to
remove the seat/trim etc. before removing the clutch/gearbox/overdrive
assembly!. Once the trim etc. is out of the way you basically support
the engine under the sump and remove the bolts etc from the bell
housing then lift the clutch/gearbox/overdrive out from inside the car
(I think you can also remove it from below if car is on a ramp?).
Also drilling out the pin can be a bit awkward.

I hope this helps

Robert.
1973 TR6 PI
England