RE: Stainless Steel radiator hoses

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stainless Steel radiator hoses
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:08:54 -0700
> I am seriously thinking of replacing my standard rubber radiator
> hoses with
> the flexible stainless steel variety. This IS NOT the rubber kind with
> braided stainless over it - it's flexible SS hose that must be cut to fit
> with a hacksaw.

Mike, pardon my ignorance, but I'm still not sure what type of hose you are
talking about.  AFAIK to seal tightly against liquid, it either has to have
a 'rubber' layer, or be solid metal (which isn't particularly flexible).
The stuff that is only braided SS wire (used for aircraft exhaust couplings
for example) always leaks to some extent.

> Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I personally think it's a
> great idea 1) because it seems relatively indestructable. 2) because the
> additional metal surface area should help disipate even more heat and 3)
> because it looks great and as you may recall I love the stainless steel
> stuff! What are your thoughts?

My biggest concern would be that it might be stiffer than original, and
transmit more engine vibration to the radiator, which would eventually crack
it.  This is particularly an issue with the upper hose on a TR2-4 (BTDT),
but I think it would apply anywhere.

Randall