RE: TR3A Steering Wheel squeak

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Steering Wheel squeak
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:59:22 -0700
> Saw the note below posted a couple of days ago, but have not seen any
> replies. I have the same problem (and I HAVE replaced the felt
> bush). Surely
> SOMEONE out there in cyberland has run into the same problem and
> has a fix.

Well, I don't know what happened.  I spent some time writing Ed an epistle
on how to undo the clamp and slide the steering wheel up just far enough to
blow some colloidal graphite onto the bush, but it doesn't seem to've made
it to the list or my 'Sent' archive.  I haven't done it myself, but it
should work.  If this isn't obvious to anyone, let me know and I'll write it
again.

The control head can also squeak, if lubing the bushing doesn't help then
disassembling the control head and smearing some graphite around would
probably be my next step.  You don't want to use oil on either the bush or
the control head, it will attract dirt and get gummy.  Dry graphite or
molybdenum disulfide is the right thing here.

Fred's right about the springs belonging on the stator tube, and since they
do rub as you turn the wheel, I suppose it could be the springs themselves
that squeak.  Oil will work here <g>

Randall