Re: tr6 fan extension bolt

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr6 fan extension bolt
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
> > > Tell me again why you don't mount it on the front of the radiator.
> >
> > Because it's much less efficient that way (in particular, the non-running
> > fan blocks the radiator, causing it to run more).
>
> And how does a non-running fan behind the radiator not block it?

The difference is that with the fan in front of the core, you are blocking
a moderate portion of the core from ever seeing any air (in particular,
the section behind the motor and hub). With the fan behind, the entire
core is subjected to incoming air when you are moving at speed, but
there is additional turbulence behind. You won't get uniform airflow
through the entire core, but you *will* get air through the entire core.

When I first upgraded my GT6+ cooling system, I put a 12" fan on
the front of the radiator, because it was easy. The fan ran a lot, even
in cool weather at 60 mph. I switched to a 10" behind, after much fiddling
(very difficult to fit), and the fan only runs in stop-and-go traffic.

> My Lotus and many other cars have an electric fan in front of the radiator,
> stock from the factory.

Cooling efficiency is not the only concern here - packaging efficiency
is an issue, too. But in a TR, it's *easier* to put the fan behind the
radiator, and certainly easier to service it there.

> I'm thinking of putting a fan on the front of the radiator and leaving the
> stock fan alone.   Will still look stock under the hood.

You could do that. You won't be the first, and probably not the last.