Re: odd news flash - not LBC (sligtly ranty)

To: "'Phil Ethier '" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: odd news flash - not LBC (sligtly ranty)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:19:18 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Phil Ethier wrote:
I happen to agree with Thomas Paine, that complete separation of
church and
state is a requirement for liberty.
Whether for good or ill, complete separation of Triumphs and politics
is a
requirement for this list, so that will be my last statement on the
subject.

A sound point, Phil - but, with respect, it entirely overlooks the
fact that many owners are possibly inhibited from commenting on
matters outside the mere technical aspects of their cars - and I'm not
suggesting sex, politics and religion should be the only contenders or
principle subject domains. Standard-Triumph owners the world over are
surely of a broader church with widely held opinions/views on many
different subjects and I for one would be interested to hear them.
"Off topic" sentiments are often expressed on this list and sometimes
there is a 'call for order.' So, why not a 'pub' type list - along the
lines of the one operating for Jaguar, and possibly other makes too?
If Mark Bradakis can stomach setting up and maintaining yet one more
list, might I suggest the creation of a Standard-Triumph pub list
under the name of gluepot-digest@autox.team.net ?
This name should cater more than adequately for everyone's needs
(purist and casual alike) as 'gluepot' was the nickname given to the
Social Club at the Coventry factory. In this building (which is the
only one left standing behind the Memorial), conversations on all
topics took place and why not? If it did come into being, I'd be one
of the first subscribers and hope many others would be of a like mind.
There's far more to Standard-Triumph ownership than an unceasing
stream of technical queries which the internet makes possible. While
technical issues may be all that some people need for a daily fix -
and I have no problems with that, it prevents others from going a
little further afield. If nothing else, it would save surfing the net
and newsgroups which exercise (for me anyway) is tedious and far from
cheap. On the longer term, it might even break down the individual
model lists whose very existence only splinterises an already fast
diminishing owner and vehicle parc, thereby precluding a mutual
sharing of knowledge. The cars were mostly all made under the same
roof on parallel tracks, sold in the same showrooms and serviced by
the same groups of people. Perhaps this is an indicator that many
(hitherto model oriented) clubs are now extending their model horizons
and coming back to how things once were.

Jonmac