RE: Triumph activities around the world - IT specific & longish

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Triumph activities around the world - IT specific & longish
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:42:44 -0400
Hi John:

This issue deals with areas that do fall into my field of expertise, if in
fact I have such a thing.

I work for a firm operating a satellite network distributing digital video
files across North America to site servers for presentation of advertising
and news on large format projection displays in public/private multimedia
networks.

Anyway, to your issue:

The result

The most effective way of distributing video across all the time lines and
standards zones you are describing is via Internet download of MPEG1 files.

The reasoning

One thing I can say is that you don't want to try to push tapes and other
things around the earth in the mail. It's hopelessly painful for the person
wishing to se the content and an overwhelming job for the poor fool with 300
people asking for tapes. Digital is the only way to go. It is extremely
simple these days to produce and edit digital video files.

As far as I know we have at least 3 video standards in the areas with the
largest block of listers; NTSC, PAL, SECAM. Add in the fact that the media
formats of the tapes are not standard even in the different countries and it
gets very messy to try a large scale distribution of content. This might be
doable if the objective was to send content from Europe to the US. People
are used to having to bow to North American's everwhelming ignorance of
external standards and habits. As a result it is almost impossible to find a
North American who even knows what PAL is, let along Secam. In fact if you
asked 1000 North American's what SECAM is they would tell you it's a new
sort of way of taking pictures of fish.

However there is a single worldwide standard for digital video; MPEG.
Probably because much of the original work was done by an international mob
of people working from Italy. Anyway, everybody with a 486 and above running
Windows, Linus and Mac OS can decode MPEG1 files directly to the screen.
MPEG1 is rougly equivalent to VHS resolution on an NTSC TV set.

Operational activities

If a person wishes to become the cameraman for the events they organise, it
would be considerably cheaper to buy a simple video/USB convertor setup or
even a Pinacle DC1000 (2 years old and can buy on ebay) to do nice MPEG
encodeing of the output of their handicams. The newer units have direct USB
output of compressed video.

The files can be edited with an almost endless pile of software tools
ranging from Adobe and Pinnacle software to long lists of shareware from
www.tucows.com. Of course the real fanatics can set themselves up with all
sorts of expensive stuff such as we use in our production bureaus, but that
is overkill.

Once this data has been turned into files, the objective is to store it on a
club's web server and allow people with the passwords to download it via FTP
on the Internet. Typically several resolutions are stored with smaller files
for people who don't want to download hundred's of megabytes for an hour or
two's viewing.

Now the primary argument against this is the fact that almost all persons
outside of NA pay for Internet by the minute/hour. That is why I said to use
MPEG1. The files can be kept small and I do believe that the time costs will
be less than the effort and expense of shipping tapes that arrive weeks
after the event has lost all interest to the parties who originally ordered
them.

I realise that I have left out of this note about 90% of the detail
necessary to do the actual work. For example it could well be more sensible
to simpley use Morpheus for peer-to-peer sharing of these files, but that is
somehting that is still more used in the broadband connected world than in
the dial-up universe. So there are a few thoughts. If anybody actually
wishes to do it then plese feel free to email me with any questions you may
have.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
mhooper@pixelsystems.com