RE: New Tyres

Subject: RE: New Tyres
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:13:21 -0700
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> For me I think it would be foolish to save $40 on the
> whole deal if the tires are not as good as the Dunlops
> or another reasonable choice.
>
> I'm back to how do I know?

Looking at the specifications, there isn't a whole lot of difference between
the tires.  Both are S-speed rated, with a 40,000 mile warranty, UTQG
traction A, temperature B.  The Dunlop does have a slightly lower treadwear
rating (360 vs 400, according to the web sites I found) which may or may not
translate to a slightly smoother ride and better traction on dry pavement.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Dunlop&model=SP+20+A%2FS
http://www.remingtontire.net/tires/page.html?datafile=remington/passenger/hi
maxii

(those links will probably wrap, you'll have to reassemble them)

The name Dunlop does have a certain cachet, Dunlop tires were original
equipment on most TR3s.  Not that these would be 'correct', the originals
were bias ply, but still ...

And, I suppose my personal bias is that I think of Remington as truck tires.
I've used them on my motorhome, they don't last as well as
Kelly-Springfields (and cost more at the time).

OTOH, there's a significant hassle savings in buying the tires where you get
your wheels.

Close decision, but I'd probably go with the Dunlops.  Well, actually I'd go
for something a bit wider and lower profile (my TR3 is currently wearing
205/55 tires on TR6 rims), but that's a different issue <g>

Just my $.02
Randall