Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member! >

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member! >
From: Christine Edwards <cedwards@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 06:44:30 -0700
At 11:50 AM 6/21/2002, you wrote:

>Hi Chrissy . Welcome to the brotherhood ( and sisterhood ! ) of Triumph .

Thank you!  I'm glad to be here!

>Man , it's amazing to see so many ladies that are passionate about Triumphs

Apparently, there aren't many around here (Phoenix, AZ).  How many women
are on this list??  I'm curious, because I've already experienced several
sort-of discriminatory comments, being a woman and owning a "collector
car".  I've had several people say things like "Oh, your husband bought
himself a toy, eh?" as they walk by my garage.  I don't HAVE a husband, so
that would be tough.  The guy I bought it from asked me if I knew how to
drive it.  My knee-jerk response was to throw my hands up into the air, and
in a high pitched sarcastic squealy voice say "Oh no, I'm a GIRL, I don't
know how to drive a stick, can you teach me?" but I managed to keep my
mouth shut.

I've also noticed that auto parts stores are weird about women...they
either fall all over themselves to help me in a completely patronizing way,
or they ignore me completely, like I must have wandered in by mistake on my
way to shop for drapes.

I'm a woman who has never restricted myself to "typical gender roles" so I
suppose I should be used to this kind of thing by now, but it still bugs me
a bit.  Ladies, have any of you had similar experiences?

-Chrissy, apparently a bit grumpy this morning  :-)

--
Christine Edwards
cedwards@cox.net