RE: TR3A controlbox headache/generator

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3A controlbox headache/generator
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:07:37 -0700
> The previous one, the correct type, showed a reading on the ammeter as
> charging but way less than the new one. When the light switch was
> pulled it
> barely brought it back to center. Must be the first regulator was
> weak

Ray, just how much current does the new setup produce ?  As I think I've
mentioned, one of the regulator's jobs is to limit the output from the
generator, as otherwise it will happily burn itself up over a period of
time.  It's been a long time, but ISTR that the original setup doesn't
charge very much with the headlights on, in fact I believe with a fully
charged battery it will actually let it discharge very slightly.  If you add
the heater and wiper motors, it definitely should show a discharge, as the
total load is greater than the output rating of the generator (using US
sealed beam headlights).

> What to do with the old ones? Throw 'em out?

Sounds like the original control box may only need adjustment, and the
generator would be good for a core.  Put 'em on eBay !

Randall