RE: TR6 fan belt and manifold studs

To: "'Rob Christopher'" <robc@cisco.com>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 fan belt and manifold studs
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:25:56 -0400
Rob,

I and another list member had trouble with the longer copper-clad studs.
They stripped. Not from over torque or cross thread. They just stripped. I
ordered fully threaded studs from McMaster-Carr. Here is the part info.

91565A664 - Plain Steel Fully Threaded Stud 3/8"-24 Thread, 2" Length $3.31
PK

They worked fine. You can probably get shorter fully threaded studs too.
Some said that the unthreaded part of the stud locates the manifold. This
may be the case sometimes, but the TR6 has pins that locate it.

I have heard of two other tricks.

One local TR6 owner found studs with fine threads on one side and coarse on
another in the yellow plastic boxes (the ones that you get grommets and such
from) at our local hardware.

Another import parts shop owner said he used socket head screws. Said they
are easier to tighten in the close area under the manifold.

Hope this helps.
Hugh Fader