Re: electrical guru, please!

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: electrical guru, please!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:06:29 -0400
Cc: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Message text written by Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou
>I was inspired to run outside and measure the leakage on my car.
It was 0.15 microamperes.  That's less than a MILLIONTH of an Amp!

Like I mentioned before, there were lots of variations of those regulator
modules made by Lucas and others, and some may have a lot
more leakage than others.  If I cared, I could look at the regulator
schematic in my Bentley book and try to estimate the circuit's leakage...
But I think 9mA is totally unnecessary and excessive.
<

As I recall, there are no values listed in the schematics in the Bentley or
the Haynes.  But 9 mA is not excessive for a car that is designed to be a
daily driver that "might" sit idle for as much as a week at a time and the
higher current draw is the result of saving a transistor in the regulator
and at that time a transistor was probably about a quarter ($0.25 US) (of
couse today you can buy transistors (I mean descrete transistors, not parts
of IC's) for about two cents).

Cheers

Dave