Re: Triumph Bike at Mid-Ohio and at VTR

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph Bike at Mid-Ohio and at VTR
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:48:22 -0600
Cc: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
"Jack W. Drews" wrote:

> .........but the real problem is, how to get them there? Is there starting
> money to help fund the air freight?

It's been a while since I didn't live in Colorado, but when I didn't
I'd ship my bike here when I came to ride. You can get a cardboard
bike box from your local bike shop (one of the ones that they're
throwing out after they unpacked a new bike from it) for free, and
with a little tear down you'll be ready to ship. You should remove
the handlebars and the pedals, preferably the cranks too. Oh yeah,
the front wheel, and then install a spacing bolt in the dropouts of
the fork (just like you'd brace the A and B posts when removing a
TR frame). Remove anything else that sticks out far enough to get
squished by UPS. Empty the oil bath if your Triumph has one for
the chain.

Then call UPS and have them deliver it to Phil. :-) Ten years ago
the UPS cost was about $25. I didn't ship to Phil, though, so I
don't know if that's extra. BTW I was quoted $50 at Mailboxes
Etc. but my employer's shipping clerk arranged a much cheaper
delivery. You could probably bum a hard case from a local bike
club too, though shipping might be a bit more by UPS. It'd be a
lot safer though. Airlines charged around $50 each way for bikes,
though some bikers have been known to put music stickers on
their hard cases and claim it's a tuba. Musical instruments were
free. <g>

Someone at Breck had a GT6 with a triumph on the roof rack,
don't see why you couldn't rig a boot rack for the bike on just
about any Triumph roadster -- I've thought about it myself, though
I just throw my mountain bike across the passenger and bench
seats.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO