RE: Lucas supply & seatbelt buttons cn.com>

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: RE: Lucas supply & seatbelt buttons cn.com>
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:40:21 -0400 22, 2002) at 06/19/2002 09:40:24 PM, Serialize complete at 06/19/2002 09:40:24 PM
Cc: "'Bill Pugh'" <anabil@caltel.com>, Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net' '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Well, once again I've stirred up a hornet's nest, but these discussions
have all valid and salient points.

I, too have an affinity toward NOS parts... for the lure of that elusive
part, filled with both character and an air of authenticity is part of the
enjoyment (and frustration) we all get by restoring these wonderful cars.
Then again, I am just as guilty as the next guy of modifying (read
"updating") various systems seeking to improve the overall driving
experience.

About three years ago, Peter provided some excellent advice about the seat
belts, and as various list members will contest, no matter how careful we
may be, there's always some moron on the road (unfortunately, as
paraphrase a recent quote "stupidity is not illegal"). And so, upgrading
original two-point lap belts to the more efficient and secure three-point
system makes sense. Besides, most Concours judges would not deduct point
for such a modification.

Then again, the same could not be said about my own SS Exhaust, Spax
shocks, or stereo system either (to Mark's point). My own recommendation
would be that owner's need to strike a balance between their budget and
goals. Certainly, one can choose to restore OEM Kangol belts (i.e.,
~$75/belt by www.ssnake-oyl.com), or acquire new Securon belts for the
about same funds - the choice is strictly one of individual preference and
perceive value.

I firmly believe that there is no wrong or right way - as long as we enjoy
and continue to promote the awareness of the cars (sorry for the ranting).