RE: TR4: starter redux

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4: starter redux
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:03:14 -0700
> A Bad Thing I Did: while reinstalling without the shim, I failed
> to disconnect the battery and, while reattaching the hot cable
> to the starter, created a shower of sparks with the wrench.
> After that, I disconnected the battery and attached everything
> properly. When I tried to start the car, I got...
>
> a click, and a little smoke at the solenoid.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is bad. The spare, new solenoid also gave
> me a click with a high pitched whine for the second I turned
> the key. Time to learn to use a multimeter?

I suspect it's time to buy one of those gear drive starters.  I got very
similar symptoms (including the whine, which I never did figure out) with a
starter that was internally shorted.  However, you might check around where
the cable is attached to the starter, to be sure it isn't shorting somewhere
external.

The gear drive starter I got draws a good deal more current (12A or so)
through the 'switch' terminal than the original solenoid does, so I plan to
keep the original solenoid to switch the side terminal on the starter and
protect the old starter switch.

Randall