Toyota Brakes [was TR3 Front Brakes]

To: "'Kinderlehrer'" <Kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, <bbrewer@qnet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Toyota Brakes [was TR3 Front Brakes]
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:27:19 -0400
Hi all,

I would like to interject a personal opinion on the subject of the front
brakes on TR's.  I have now put 200miles on my '3a and I installed the
Toyota calipers(http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-conversion.html) on the
TR6 rotors.  IMHO, this is a great setup for safety reasons and it turns out
to be cheap as well.

When I was doing the rolling chassis I had to make a decision on what I was
going to do.  I looked at trying to get Girling calipers ( which I have 1 ),
then to get them rebuilt.  Add to the cost of the TR3 rotors which even
though are only a 1/4" larger than the TR6 ones are much more expensive (
supply and demand? See thread on "RE: Lucas supply" for more ).  Besides the
TR6 ones are available at my NAPA/UAP shop off the shelf.  The calipers are
also available off the shelf and after the initial outlay of $95cdn each (
no core, with core something like $50cdn "loaded" ), I feel I really got my
moneys worth.

The install was straight forward according to the instructions on the vtr
article.  the only thing I would change is the TR3 install should be like
the TR6 and make up a solid adaptor line between the caliper and the flex
line.

The next question is how do they feel, in a word, GRRRREEEEAAAATTTT!!!  My
pedal travels about 1" before engaging and is a solid lockup 1/3 the way
down.  Good solid feel, in fact the Spitfire feels like it has no brakes now
:-)  If you are looking for a cost effective alternative this IMHO a good
path to take.

Just my testimony
David A. Templeton
'59 TR3a - 9TS54226L ( "9" denotes the CDN import on year of mfr ) - Stops
on a dime ( American or Cdn :-D )
'74 Spitfire - FM10491L