TR2 Restart - It Runs! It's Alive!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 Restart - It Runs! It's Alive!
From: "David Gunn" <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:21:15 -0700 FILETIME=[2FDF1720:01C215C7]
Well, today was a great Father's Day!  All 5 of the kids came home, and they
mostly left me alone in the barn to work on the "2".  I finally got the gas
tank back in, (the froze-up problem evidently was a jambed starter, I pulled
the old one, and the bendix came flying off of the shaft) put a little gas
in the tank, hooked up a new battery, cranked it over a couple of times,
watched the oil pressure go past 50, and then it caught.  Without touching
anything, it sputtered a little, coughed the oil out of the cylinders, and
took off.  It did surprise me, because I was standing outside the car, just
pushing the starter button - no choke, no gas - amazing!  Anyway, it settled
down, and purred just like I remembered. Next, I reinstalled the radiator
and all new hoses.  I was so excited about letting it run for a longer
period, that I forgot to close the petcock at the bottom of the radiator,
and block the heater hose going into the firewall (I haven't reinstalled the
heater yet!).  Oh well, another 1/2 gallon of coolant on the floor won't
hurt a thing.

I finally got all the hoses tightened, filled it with coolant, got in, and
started it again. Then I just sat back and dreamed.  (I don't have brakes or
a clutch yet, as that system is still sitting on the work bench)  The whole
family (and neighbors) must have though I was crazy, sitting in the middle
of the back yard, engine running at about 3000 RPM, staring off into space,
and grinning!!  As I said, what a great Father's Day!!

David Gunn 54 TR2 TS3388L (running and almost back on the road again!)

PS A sincere thanks to all who gave suggestions about how to "deal" with the
froze-up engine.  I'm glad it was nothing more serious than a jammed
starter.