Re: J type overdrive to TR4 Gearbox (Long)

To: "Patrick Caswell" <tr4u@earthlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J type overdrive to TR4 Gearbox (Long)
From: "Nelson Riedel" <Nelson@BuckeyeTriumphs.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 07:16:46 -0400
Subject: J type overdrive to TR4 Gearbox

> Does anyone on the list know of a source of information on converting a =
> TR4 Non OD gearbox to a OD gear box using the Type Overdrive.
> Patrick Caswell

Hi Patrick,

I believe the J Type can be mated to a TR4 gearbox  as the gearbox is
essentially the same as used in the TR250 and early TR6.

You will need to put an isolator switch in the top cover.

You will also need an adaptor casting that goes between the OD and the
gearbox ---- it may not have come with your OD.

You will need to fabricate an adaptor to mount the back of the gearbox/OD to
an early frame.

All these subjects are covered in articles on the Buckeye Triumphs website.
Go to:

www.buckeyetriumphs.org

and then click the technical button on left.     There is a several part
section on how to overhaul a J Type OD  --- and put it back on the gearbox.
There are separates notes on mounting the J Type to early frames and a note
on adding the switches to the top cover (under the gearbox section).

The real problem will be to find a gearbox mainshaft that will work in the
TR4 gearbox and mate with a J Type OD.  The closest thing I can think of is
the main shaft from a '73 TR6 gearbox equipped with J Type OD but it uses a
different type bearing between the input shaft and the mainshaft.   I
understand Overdrive Repair Services in the UK will take a non OD mainshaft
and machine it for either an A or J type OD for about $100 plus shipping.
They have a website and email address but don't seem to respond to email.
You might give them a call at:

011 44 114 248 2632

You must of course completely disassemble the gearbox to get the mainshaft
out and then reassemble it.  The notes on the website describing how to
overhaul a TR250/TR6 gearbox are also applicable to the TR4 box.

Sounds like a fun project, good luck.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)