RE: Starter motor replacement

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter motor replacement
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:53:26 -0700
> Is there a wrong way to install the starter? There
> are only two bolts, so I can only figure that it's
> upside down? Or there's something else? TIA.

The starter is symmetrical, so it should work fine even installed upside
down.  Have you checked the depth of engagement between the starter pinion
and the ring gear ?  There are shims that can be added between the starter
and the block to increase the depth of engagement (on the post 50K TRactor
motor starters).  I've read somewhere that most cars seem to've been fitted
with one shim by the factory, but the shims are often lost.  Sorry, don't
know the P/N or the procedure for measuring the depth offhand, but they
should be in the usual places.

Another possibility is worn teeth on the starter pinion and/or ring gear.

Yet another is that the engine is actually firing once, but not starting.
This can (and should) kick the Bendix out of gear.  Just the nature of the
beast IMO (but making your engine start easier will certainly help reduce
the problem).

Randall