Re: TR3A suspension mystery noise solved!( I Hope! )

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A suspension mystery noise solved!( I Hope! )
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:08:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/12/02 7:40:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, RayAntoky
writes:

> Fellow Sleuths:
>
> Front end checks out ok. Alignment is fine. Had a shop tighten everything
> that might have produced a knocking sound.  . The noise seems to come and
> go. Went by my friend's shop for a test drive who said it sounds like the
> left front shock. The car is quite stiff when you do the fender shake test.
> He says maybe it could be a bushing? On the way home went over a violent
> bump and lo and behold the noise vanished. At one point I thought it was
> the box that the spring resides in and that it might be rubbing so i pried
> it away a little. Anyway took it for a ride again , no noise till on the
> way home it seemed to start again. What's the likelihood it has something
> to do with the shock?
> Help, I'm going mad!!!
>
> Ray
> 59 TR3A BRG w/cww!
> (luv this car!)

Put on my Holmes cap and pipe, took off the wheel and inspected the A arms,
shock etc. Looked good. But the brake line seemed to be rubbing or hitting
either the frame or the a-arm. A clip attached to it was not anchoring it
properly. Anyway i bent it a little and anchored it to the frame with a black
wire tie, test drove it and it was sweeter than ever with no annoying mystery
noise!  Let's see what tomorrow brings. Thanks to Mike Andrews and the
ubiquitous Mr. Young for the clues!

Ray
59 TR3 BRG
Chrome wire wheels (72 spokes)....(comments invited....)