RE: Tranny out, what to check?

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny out, what to check?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:45:39 -0700
> Since I have the transmission out for my engine rebuild (non-OD), is there
> anything I should be checking on it?  It didn't appear to have
> any problems,
> but I'd rather launch a pre-emptive strike than pull it again.  I
> did notice
> that I'm able to wiggle the input shaft from side to side a bit (not much,
> but certainly noticeable), is that normal?  It also tends to pop
> out of gear
> (2nd for sure, maybe 3rd) on heavy deceleration.

Darrell, both of these sound to me like worn bearings, I'd go for a gearbox
rebuild.  Don't forget the seals on the shifter shafts, they are frequently
overlooked.  Also replace the clutch friction plate, throwout bearing and
taper pin.  I would seriously consider drilling the clutch shaft and fork
for a cross-bolt to avoid the dreaded broken taper pin.

> Also, is there any magic solution that will clean up aluminum?  There used
> to be a product called "Aluminum Jelly" (same folks as "Naval
> Jelly"), but I
> can't find in anymore.

Sorry, no help here.  I didn't even know the stuff wasn't available anymore.

Randall