Body repair/painting trailer

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Body repair/painting trailer
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:55:34 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net Spelling Checker
Sorry if this was sent more than once -, I didn't see it appear so I'm
re-sending - hopefully there isn't a bunch of these floating around and
ending up in everybodys mailbox.  If so I'm truly sorry-
*******************************
For those looking for a *relatively* cheap way to repair and haul around
your frame/shell those foldable 4 x 8 utility trailers work great.  I wish
I had bought one when I did my GT6 way back when.  Makes moving it around a
breeze, the underside of the car is much more accessible, and you can just
hook it up to the tow vehicle to take it to the body/paint place, and they
will have a way to move it around.
Yes, through the *desires* of my wife, (and through a prior agreement that
in order to get our 1940 Ford truck parts hauler)  I am FINALLY finishing
the sorta 70 Spitfire project which is the frame and body the trailer is
now sporting..  I say sorta, because in actuality it a hodgepodge of years
and models.  Unfortunately, I couldn't locate a 70 bonnet so it sports an
earlier one that was one the car so the parking and turn lamps will be the
older bullet type (not sure how that will look, but I don't think it'll all
be that bad).  Plus it will have later 1500 seats, 69 rear lamp treatment
later gauges and a J-type overdrive with MK4 Swing Spring and possibly the
narrower rear track (I'll have to see if the "big" tires  on the Minilite
style rims will fit in the rear).  But it will still be a round tail
Spitfire and only a true Triumph nut would know that it's not year correct,
and *HOPEFULLY* it will be ready by Triumphest - that's the goal anyway -
Thanks to Andy Mace for his timely response to my boot lid request, it will
be painted this weekend in a very dark metallic (98 GM Cadillac Fleetwood)
green should look stunning - with minimal badging - I wish I had a site I
could post a few pictures of the body/frame sitting on the trailer looks
pretty cool - This setup is MUCH easier than the dolly I made for the GT6,
and it has the added benefit of not having to rent a trailer or something
to get it to the paint booth - Every now and then these trailers go on sale
( I got mine for under $200) and while that may seem pricey by the time you
buy the materials for a dolly of some kind, rent a trailer to get it down
the shop (twice etc) it comes pretty close to that plus you have a nice
foldable utility trailer that you can either sell to recoup the cost or
keep for those hauling projects that always seem to come up -
bschwart@pacbell.net (San Diego)