Re: [Re: Update on carbs]

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: Update on carbs]
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:05:25 -0400
Cc: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Hugh Fader
>Hi Dick. Thanks for responding.

You're right. I meant 100 RPM not 1000. Not sure what you mean by a drag.
It
has to be electrical load doesn't it?

- Hugh

tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor) wrote:
> Hugh---Must've been a typo...It read that "with the headlights on, rpm's
> drop 1000." Some alternators will pull an engine down a little, when it
> goes into a charging mode. Maybe closer to 50 rpm. Very subtle. If it's
> more than this, there must be a drag internally, more than brushes
> alone.
<

You're right, Hugh.  A generator (and alternator) converts mechanical
energy to electrical energy.  The more electrical power it puts out the
more mechanical energy it takes to turn it.  Internally, the force is
caused by magnetic fields in the stator windings reacting with the magnetic
fields in the rotor.  The higher the output current the greater the fields.

Cheers

Dave