TR6: Indexing a Piper270 cam

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: TR6: Indexing a Piper270 cam
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:17:57 -0400
Hi listers (and Hugh in paticular if you are out there)

I gave my best shot at indexing my TR6 engine on Saturday.  My problem
is I seem to be getting conflicting results using two measurements.

Method 1: Instructions included with the Piper 270 cam say to turn the
crank to 112 ATDC, find the maximum lift point of #1 intake and chain
the two things together at that point.

Method 2: Measure the lift of #6 intake and exhaust and find the
crossover point where they are both open the exact came amount (0.038"
in my case) meaning #1 are closed, put #6 and #1 at TDC and chain the
two together at that point.

My problem:  Do method 1 and then measure the intake and exhaust of #6
at TDC.  The intake is open 0.040" and the exhaust is open 0.035", not
equal amounts.  Disassemble and do method 2.  Rotate the crank and cam
until #1 intake is fully open and measure 111 ATDC, not 112 as it should
be.

Am I being too picky about this?  Is 0.005" or 1degree within reason?
Does the assymetry of this cam mean I cannot do Method 2 to begin with?

Rob in Ottawa