Re: wire wheels

To: "Richard Riddick" <sonex188@epictn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheels
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:21:13 -0700 b1af552a4baefa44d93037409dad2c84e4a443350badd9bab72f9c350badd9bab72f9c
Richard, I had the same set up - Wire wheels and a standard rim in the spare
compartment.  It is, from what I understand a useless spare.  The only way
to mount it is to remove the adapter but, since the conversion to wires
requires shortening the studs, you would have to replace them before you
could mount the spare- not a road side job.  The problem isn't the size of
the wire wheel, more likely the cost as he would have had to buy 5.
However, the earlier TR3 (pre TS6000 I believe) do have a narrow compartment
and even a disk wheel won't fit if the tire on it is larger than a 155/15.
I just got a 145/15 from Coker Tire, munted it on a 48 spoke wire rim and it
goes in fine.

 There are many TR3's with painted wire wheels, but I don't remember ever
seeing one withot the knock offs. It sounds like the owner did a conversion,
probably picked up the wheels used off an MG.