Re: #1) the engine still seems to run hot. #2 tach cable broke twice.

To: "triumphlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <lstein6@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: #1) the engine still seems to run hot. #2 tach cable broke twice.
From: "Thomas Beaver" <beaver@spillmanco.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:39:34 -0500
> my 72 gt6 is pretty stable now (after replacing just about everything)
>
> #1) the engine still seems to run hot.  i've added a secondary water temp
> guage and that guage reads up to 190.  i mounted the sensor to the
opposite
> site of the thermostat.  the orig is mounted on the drivers side, i
mounted
> this one where the water comes out to go to the heater.  the original
guage
> goes up about 3/4 of the way, not into the red section but significantly
past
> mid point.  the whole interior of the car gets hot.  this bothers me
> (especially now that it is summer).  i still don't think this is normal.
what
> do you guys think ?

Larry
I think your car is running pretty normal. My GT has always run between
50%-75% on the stock temp guage depending on the outside temp and driving
conditions. This goes back to 1976 when it was faiirly new and now after
full rebuild with stock components.

Since you mounted the second temp guage on the way to the interior I would
assume that means your running the heater control valve open. You might want
to close that to help with the inside heat.

The interior will feel like an oven in the summer. Great fun weraing a suit
in downtown traffic. I have installed the temperature resistant matting on
the inside of the tranny cover and make sure your tranny cover has all the
fasteneres in place. I found a lot of heat coming in through the top of the
cover and installed a piece of metal inside across the top and secured with
the top two fastener bolts to make sure it was flush to the firwall.

I also turn my vent windows 180 degrees  to improve air flow

Just be glad your feet are not in the passenger footwell.

Don't know about question #2

Tom Beaver
73 GT6