Re: Turn signals flash rate

To: <saffian@att.net>
Subject: Re: Turn signals flash rate
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:26:17 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark Saffian wrote:
Can anyone suggest a reason why my left turn signal blinks twice as
fast
as my right signal?  All bulbs are working properly, so I don't think
it
is a resistive load issue.

Hi, Mark
Looks like 'Old Joe' has struck again! I had the selfsame problem on
Canley Girl as Randall Young commented. Left flashed at the speed of
light, rigt was like watching paint dry. Went through all the bulb
checking, contact cleaning, earthing - and same result. Just as I was
about to hurl a brick through the rear window or screen with
frustration, I wasn't bothered about preferences for which end by that
time, a friend turned up in his GT6.
"Flasher unit," said he with the unquestioned arrogance of one who
immediately knows.
"Well, I haven't got one" said I "and its Sunday as well."
He dived into the Old Joe regions, pulled out the flasher unit and
said, "its identical to the one on the GT6."
So we put his in mine, so to speak - and everything was perfick.
Then, for fun, we put my flasher unit in the GT6 and everything was
perfick again!
Quickly tiring of this schoolboy activity - and again just for the fun
that might have remained, we put CG's old unit back in place. Speed of
light and paint drying mode.
Switched again between cars and both worked fine. That was six months
ago and as far as the UK is concerned, a GT6 and a 2.5PI are happily
and legally indicating their intentions with the others flasher unit.
Draw your own conclusions! Doubting Thomases might be inclined to
blame Old Joe - but I'm convinced it had something to do with the
recent arrival of winter time and the rotation of the whirlpool when
the bathtub empties. At this late stage, I have to say I don't really
care. It just works as it should. Sorry if this isn't technically very
helpful and if the problem still persists, I suppose you might try
some incantations and juju from a witch doctor or a passing Druid with
time on his hands.
Alternatively if you can uncover some Lucas NOS - give it a whirl. You
never know, you migt get offside front flashing with nearside rear at
different speeds. It's all part of Triumph ownership!

Jonmac