Re: Cranks for TR6

To: "Douglas Shook" <shook@usc.edu>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cranks for TR6
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:27:58 -0400
From: "Douglas Shook" <shook@usc.edu>

> Interesting observation (I think it is interesting,
> anyway) -- a new crankshaft for a '74 TR6 from Victoria
> British is $199.99, and a new camshaft is $249.99, but
> a remanufactured camshaft is $299.99.

> Does this pricing seem odd, or am I missing something?

There is a large supply of cranks on the market that need machining to make
them suitable for use.  Last summer when I wanted a new crank for my TR6 I
talked with one of Moss' wholesale reps that I had worked with in the past,
and was informed that the cranks were indeed new but needed grinding and
polishing to accept at least 010+ bearings or more likely 020+ bearings.
That didn't sound much better than using a used crankshaft to me...

So when Engel Imports advertised NOS TR6 cranks at $149 (also last summer) I
purchased one, but inquired about what their condition was.  These were
genuine NOS TR6 crankshafts that needed no machining at all... I lucked out.
Sad thing is I couldn't bring myself to put it in an engine, so I still have
it, still in the old British Leyland box and wrapping.  (Infact I have lots
of NOS parts that I couldn't commit myself to use, simply because they were
nicer than the car I had at the time).  Unfortunately Engel Imports is out
of them, but Scott Harper at Team Triumph may have one on hand... I believe
he bought two from Engel last year (Engel only had four total).

What I believe happened is that somewhere in British Leyland management they
made a decision to axe the production of vehicles using the Triumph six
cylinder engine, but for some reason production of the engine parts carried
on for some time.  TRF used to have a HUGE stock of NOS TR6 blocks for sale
very cheap.  Pretty much everyone has these new / NOS TR6 cranks for sale
also very cheap.

Just keep in mind your shipping expenses when considering either a new crank
or block.  The cranks weight 65 pounds when all packed for shipping... and
the block at least three times as much.  So you can figure as much as $50 to
ship a crank to you depending on your geographical location.

My personal preference in regards to camshafts is that I would always rather
choose a new one over a remanufactured one.  Given that new lifters are not
always hardened to the proper specification, and that remanufactured cams
aren't always welded up correctly (and you don't know who did the work!), I
would just rather have the piece of mind of using a new cam in my motors.

Kai