TR6 Exhaust Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Exhaust Question
From: "shawmon" <shaw.mon@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:04:17 -0700
Listers,

Well after a couple of years with a Monza exhaust, I've decided it's too
much and am looking for something quieter.  I know this question comes up
often, but I'm looking for advice as to what to do.  Right now I have a Moss
header running twin pipes to the rear, but the car is a '70.  My question
is: I originally planned to do some engine mods to accompany the exhaust and
header, but haven't, and may not ever, we'll see.  Should I

1)return the exhaust to the stock single pipe and muffler, using the
original manifold

2)keep the header on and get an exhaust shop to install a two into one
collector, running a single-pipe stock exhaust the rest of the way

3)keep the header and run a twin pipe stock exhaust from the TR6

I've never been entirely clear why Triumph changed to the twin pipe setup.
Compression was reduced around then, I know, but the twin pipes reduce
torque a bit but boost max HP a bit.  Is that right?

So whatd'ya think.  What's the most appropriate exhaust setup, allowing that
I may eventually do some head and cam work later down the road, but am
looking for a more stock sound quality and noise level?

TIA,
Shawn Mann