500 mile maintenance

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 500 mile maintenance
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 22:42:11 -0400
Believe it or not after less than a week, I am ready to perform my 500 mile
breakin maintenance. Oil and filter change are a given.

What about re-torquing the cylinder head? I have read that with modern
gaskets this is not required. I see no sign of leakage or water in the oil.
Opinions?

I'll tighten manifold and exhaust pipe to manifold bolts.

I also plan to set up the carbs. In particular, fast idle is way too slow.
Also need to check the balance and mixture.

Want to advance the timing as far as possible before knock. It is now set to
static 10 deg BTDC. Should I advance the timing first or set up the carbs
first or go back and forth?

Getting a clunk when I brake hard just when the car comes to a halt. Need to
investigate. Possibly the rack mounts need tightening or adjustment.

Also have a small leak where the bottom radiator hose attaches to the
radiator.  Probably have to drain the radiator to re-position it.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud here. Any opinions or suggestions are
welcome.

Regards,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6