Re: More Lift-A-Dot fastener questions

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Lift-A-Dot fastener questions
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@ultrasw.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:55:51 -0700
"David A. Templeton" wrote:

> I have more questions about these LAD fasteners,  what type go in the top of
> the windshield?

These are Tenex fasteners -- a totally different animal from the Lift-the-dot.
Look in the 'windscreen' section of Moss or other catalogs.  They are machine
screw.

> I have also noticed a specialized tool for attaching the "female" part of the
> fasteners, should I get this?  Or can I get away with pliers and a sharp
> knife?

I have never used a special tool.  I use a hole punch to make the hole... then
lay the material over soft wood (e.g. pine)... put the half of the fastener with
the tabs in position over the hole... then use a wooden block and hammer to
smack
that sucker.  The tabs are pretty sharp and pop right thru to the other side.
Flip the workpiece over.  The bottom half can then be fitted over the tabs and
the tabs bent over while you keep pressure on the bottom half.

For really thick applications I have used an Xacto knife to start the holes for
the tabs after pressing them against the material to mark slot locations.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Tucson