RE: Lucas alternator i.d.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Lucas alternator i.d.
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:26:04 -0700
> The "16" is an output rating (someone else might be able to
> further decode that), I think "AC" simply refers to alternator,
> and the "R" means that it has an INTERNAL regulator.

A partial list, from a Lucas service bulletin reprinted in the Jan 99
Triumph Standard (my local club's newsletter) :

10AC                            35 amps
11AC                            45 amps
11AC(23580 or 23633)    60 amps
11AC(24volts)           23 amps

15ACR                           28 amps
16ACR                           34 amps
17ACR                           36 amps
17ACR (derated)         25 amps
18ACR                           43 amps
20ACR                           66 amps

I think the number actually refers to the housing design, while the internal
components can also affect the current rating.

Andy, what's the listed Lucas number for the alternator for a 71 Stag ?

Randall