Re: TR4 electrical?

To: tim_purdy@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: TR4 electrical?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:50:33 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 21-May-02 18:35:05 Eastern Daylight Time,
tim_purdy@hotmail.com writes:

> I just took my TR4 '64 for a little spin.  Not too far, when I noticed the
> temp and fuel guage is not working or the turn signals.  Is this just a
> blown fuse or something else.  I am slowly attempting to familiarize myself
> with this car, and do not know much about its working, so any suggestions
> keep simple for my simple mind.  I have certainly enjoyed reading the
> postings and learning something new every day.

Could be a blown fuse.  Those items you mentioned are all on the same fuse,
as are the stop lights, heater motor and windscreen wipers.  Turn off all the
items mentioned above.  Check the fuses (there are two) and replace it if
blown.  Shop manual and Haynes both say 25amp fuse.  (But if you don't have
an English fuse use a 15 amp US one.)  Then turn on the key only.

Remember that the guages will be in the circuit when you turn on the key, so
if the fuse blows immediately w/o any other items on, the trouble is probably
in that part of the circuit.

If the fuse does not blow immediately, turn on one of the above.  If the fuse
does not blow turn off that item and move to another one.  If it blows again
note which item caused it to blow.  Good luck.  Let me know how it turns out.

Art Kelly