TR4 wipermotor paint - final answer!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 wipermotor paint - final answer!
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 15:45:16 EDT
Hi Listers,
I sent a note to that guy tr4tony who sold the TR4 (hammerite painted) wiper
motor for $350.00 on eBay the other day. Asked if he could get to the bottom
of the Hammerite Vs Brack Wrinkle paint debate through his Lucas connections
- and here's his reply..
Carl
'63 TR4
_______

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the email. I've got two of these so if you want the other let me

know.

The story on the paint is this - categorical advice from a LUCAS guy who a)

sold the originals to Triumph b) sold the B90 reconditioned units (LUCAS

factory supplied) C) buys / does the ones that I can buy in the UK.

His advice to me when I needed to know for my car (concours winning TR4a)

was that they originally came supplied as black crackle bodied on all the

TR4's and most of the TR4a's and TR5's (TR250) irrespective of single or

twin speed. There were exceptions when supplies dried up and parts destined

for other manufacturers (Morris etc.) were used as typical in the Brit car

industry of the 60's.

The reconditioned / factory serviced B90 branded units all came painted

hammered silver, irrespective of model they were being fitted to. There are

black crackle B90 units around but the advice that I've had is that they are

likely to be new and just thrown in as demand tailed off in favour of the

TR6 type motor which actually came in around the early 60's and was used by

Jag etc.

Hope this helps you troubled souls. As always there is no definite answer.

All I can say about mine is that it comes from a LUCAS employee in Coventry.

Best regards,

Tony