Re: concave or convex?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: concave or convex?
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 07:56:25 EDT
In a message dated 05/17/2002 11:10:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
geohahn@ultrasw.com writes:

> A bigger problem (I'm told) is that the air passages in replacement grilles
> are
> smaller than original, allowing less air to the radiator.  I've never seen
> one
> that I was sure was original to compare side-by-side -- but then I've never
> had
> overheating with the replacement grille.

I've always wondered about the bow in the grill. In any case the one in mine
is flat. With regard to the air passages ... In # 78 (spring 2001) of the VTR
magazine, "Maintenance" section, TeriAnn Wakeman provided some explanation
... summarized as follows; aftermarket grills had opening holes 7.2cm (2.84")
X 1.3cm (0.5"), while the original grills were 7.7cm (3.03" x 1.6cm (0.63")
... a difference of 24% more area for air to flow to radiator. I have checked
this out when I've seen grills come up on ebay, and sho enuf, when I did get
replies these measurements held up. I see now the TRF has a grill replacement
that they are claiming is "Better" than the previous replacements, I have not
however asked them for the measurements.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)