RE: TR3a Steering Wheel covering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3a Steering Wheel covering
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:13:17 -0700 o m>
> I am wondering about a covering for the steering wheel. I have
> little cracks
> where the metal banjo bars meet the outer plastic. I have 2 questions to
> pose:
>
> 1/ what material would good to use in general?
>
> 2/ what would be correct for the period ('59)?

I bought a leather cover from Moss a long time ago, that I have been very
happy with.  It fit the wheel exactly, and is only laced on the inside edge
(unlike the ones at Pep Boys where the lace wraps around the rim).  Not
padded, most people don't even know it's there, but it covers up the ugly
cracked wheel under it, and feels good.  It's held up well for a long time
with almost no care, although it certainly could use some attention.

They currently list 222-315 as fitting all 16-1/2" steering wheels, but I'm
not sure if that's the same one I got or not.

BTW leather is also 'period correct'.

Randall