Re: Was Service Counter Standard on TR6 x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: rmf3860@erols.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was Service Counter Standard on TR6 x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:35:07 EDT
In a message dated 5/15/2002 10:01:32 PM EST, rmf3860@erols.com writes:

<< what are these service counters and do I need/want one?  >>

Bob,

The service counter tracks mileage and, at 25,000 or 30,000 mile increments
(I can't recall exact figure), it closes a set of internal electrical
contacts which energizes the EGR warning lamp on your dashboard.  When the
light came on, you were supposed to take your TR6 to your local British
Leyland dealer and have the EGR serviced!

Unless you're looking for "period-correctness", you don't need it - use a
standard length speedo cable.  The EGR light will just be decoration!  If you
decide to keep it, you will need the two different length cables.  The
counter is resetable so you don't have to tear it apart each time it trips
the EGR warning light......or, if having the lamp come on concerns you, run
the wire from the counter through the bulkhead grommet and just tape it and
coil it behind the dash - you don't need to connect it electrically to the
EGR lamp.

Chip Krout

1976 TR6 #CF57822U - one of the last 500 built - restoration nearing
completion
1970 Spitfire Mk3 #FDU78512L - on the road and ready for another driving
season!