RE: transmission troubles -- absolutely no LBC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: transmission troubles -- absolutely no LBC
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:39:18 -0700
> On any US built Chrysler automatic trans ( all the way back to the 50's 2
> speed Powerflight) the linkage from the carb to the trans is more than a
> kickdown.  It serve to provide load sensing to the trans and
> removing it will
> make the trans think you are driving at very light throttle.
> This will make
> for very early and soft shifts without sufficient line pressure the trans
> will slip and be damaged.

While Harold is correct that it also provides load sensing (I was
simplifying), it will not hurt the transmission to do a short test with it
disconnected.  It will shift at fairly low rpm, regardless of throttle
setting, but I was suggesting this only as a test, to eliminate that linkage
as a source of the "no 1-2 shift" problem.

I've run a 727 Torqueflite many miles with the linkage disconnected (pin
fell out and I didn't care to crawl under to replace it until I got home)
with no noticeable ill effects.  It was between a 440-2 and a 6-ton
motorhome, so it was still working hard.

Randall