Calling all battery experts (non-LBC question)

To: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Calling all battery experts (non-LBC question)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 22:41:18 -0400
I have a non-LBC question.

Sorry to bug the list, but the combined knowledge here is too tempting to
pass up.

I have a particular need for a high-energy battery. Presently I have a
portable battery pack in a small case for a portable "work kit". I need
about 27 AH @ 12VDC. The system has to put out about 200 watts sustained. I
am presently using 2 x 12-pound gel-cel lead-acid motorcyle batteries for my
application. The pack is approximately 7"x4"x 8" fore each battery. This has
been no problem with the existing "operators" of the machine. They are
typically large body-builder types.

Now I am being asked to make the same setup run with much thinner female
"operators" for a very special venue. I really need to get the weight down
without going insane on the pricing. I have discovered that the new
lithium-ion polymer batteries can give me the same juice with a 4-5 pound
kit. Not bad, but the price is absolutely massive. Instead of $100 for the
baterries, I would be facing thousands! Not reasonable even for this event.

Can anybody suggest a setup/chemistry that would work? I am sorry I cannot
talk about the application, but if it works out in about a couple of months
it may get a completely ridiculous TV audience. I'll tell you then. In the
mean time, if anybody knows something usefull, I would really appreciate the
help.

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
72 TR6 (and no I'm not converting it to electric power)