Electric Fuel Pumps - positive ground.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric Fuel Pumps - positive ground.
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:51:46 -0700 (PDT)
I know there was a thread on this recently, and I happened to come across some
information that might be applicable.

I have a couple of identical looking electric fuel pumps that have come on a
couple of my cars, and I was on mission to find a rebuild kit for them since
they were leaking.

I forget what the one in the car is . . .it is right on the tip of my tongue .
.but the one in my hand is an AIRTEX brand pump.

I ended up calling Airtex and their tech guy told me that my pump had been
discontinued YEARS ago and that there were no parts for it.

He said that ethanol in modern fuels was causing too many failures and so they
discontinued it in favor of modern solidstate fuel pumps.

How nice.

The other day I saw another IDENTICAL fuel pump in a local autoparts store.
It was a Stewart Warner pump.
When I looked through the catalog . . . it does indeed say: "Not to be used
with alcohol based fuels."

I still haven't gotten to them to find out if they have a rebuild kit
available, but there was something else in the catalog that caught my
attention:

Part Number 235A-D
12V pos/neg. gnd  5psi

The positive and negative ground made me think of the current thread.
I can attest to their workign on positive ground applications.
One was on my TR4 when I bought it.
It worked fine and I have never converted a TR4 to negative ground.

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 everyday (cept today cause my wife stole it)