fighting the "cuteness factor..." was: show judging

To: ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: fighting the "cuteness factor..." was: show judging
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 18:44:01 +0000 FILETIME=[7CC65F00:01C1F789]
> > I have one really big peeve when it comes to cars shows and that
> > is "BEST of
> > SHOW", when this award is given does that mean it is the very
> > best at the show
> > or the most unusual/rare,t VTR the "Gloria" won best of show, was
> > it the best
> > restored at VTR, hell no and not by a long way, it was the most
> > unusual/rare
> > certainly not the "BEST" car at the convention,
>
>Fred, "best" is a subjective measure, and I think the VTR "Best of Show"
>award reflects that.  There were lots of beautiful cars at the show (yours
>was one of them), but I personally thought it entirely appropriate that
>best
>of show go to the Gloria.  Can't really define why I feel that way, just
>like quality "I know it when I see it".  In addition to being a rare and
>attractive car, it was also 'honest'.  Those really were the parts that
>made
>up that car when it was new, not a collection of oh-so-correct
>reproductions.  Years ago, that was called 'originality', meaning it had
>never been 'restored'.
>
>I'm not even certain it was the rarest car there, wasn't there a 2500 PI
>saloon that is supposed to be the only one in the US ?  Brad's Amphicar was
>also the first one I've ever seen "in the flesh".

   There was a local British car show in Peoria that I attended just
   after getting my TR4 back on the road after a 2 year frame up
   rebuild (that's like, many years ago folks). It was the very first
   car show that the Green Man (my TR4) and I attended. The show was
   hosted by the local Jaguar club which had as many classes for
   Jaguars as one would expect from a Jaguar club. The rest of the
   British "great unwashed" were classed a "4 cylinder sports cars"
   and "6 cylinder sports cars" "4 cylinder saloons" etc.. The judging
   was done by the general public who dropped ballots for their faves.
   There were about 10 cars in my "class". Most were MGBs and
   Spridgets.

   Sitting next to my shiny SO-O GREEN TR4 was a tatty "used-to-be-red"
   `49 MG TC. It was totally original. I mean it was so original it
   must have had over 40 years of dust, rust, flaky paint and
   assorted grunge on it. The beast was so nasty, I considered
   fumigating the grass between us with Waxoyl (God forbid any evil MG
   rust cooties should contemplate infecting my precious TR).

   All day long as I sat ther in my lawn chair studying the Bently book
   on TR4s "disinterested" in what was going on around me. I kept
   hearing "Isn't that CUTE?"  Or word to that effect from nearly every
   female that passed by our line of sporty cars. They weren't talking
   about my TR4... I figured, "Well, that's jus the women... The Guys
   will see this GREAT TR4 and just have to vote for it..." WRONG!!!!
   The TC won "Best of Class". When the owner, this old geezer, got
   around to leaving he winked at me and said, "Don't feel so bad... Ya
   just can't beat cute... The same thing happens when I show up at Hot
   Rod shows..."

   Greg "Let God strike me if I'm not tellin' the truth" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)